Sunday, September 16, 2012

Shrimp Ceviche - A Journey Away From our Beloved Chesapeake

       


     When I went to the Florida Keys for the first time, I was introduced to ceviche, and instantly fell in love. I was visiting an Aunt and  Uncle from Canada that would join the flocks of snow birds escaping cold Canadian winters. Sometime after hunting season ended (around mid January), my Aunt and Uncle would load up their motor home, hook up their boat, and head south to the American Carribean for the rest of the winter. They would typically stay through mid -April...Not a bad way to spend the winter, eh? I was fortunate enough to be invited to visit them anytime that I wanted. I was 21 years old when I made it to the keys for the very first time, and have had a secret love affair with the keys, keys fishing, and keys food ever since. Ceviche' certainly didn't originate in the keys. Immigrants from Mexico and Cuba, and other Carribean Islands brought their versions with them. But, since I first had ceviche' in the keys, I associate the two. Anytime that I can eat something that takes me back to the warm tropical waters of the Florida Keys, I am "all in" for that journey through my mind and taste buds!

For those of you that don't know, ceviche' is typically a mixture of vegetables and seasoning with some form of fish that is "cooked" by marinading in lime juice. I put the word cooked in quotes like that, because I want to make sure you read this disclaimer...whatever type of ceviche' you make, unless you caught the fish yourself, and know for a fact that it is 100% well taken care of and safe to eat raw, then I would cook it first, and then soak in lime juice. For this dish, I ALWAYS cook the shrimp first..and I do that even If I catch the shrimp myself. But If I caught and plan to use trout, spanish mackerel, or any other good "ceviche' fish", I will soak them in lime juice raw, as long as I had good ice on them from the time that I caught them. The lime juice doesn't really cook the fish. The acid in the juice turns the fish white which gives it a cooked appearance. So, to review..Never eat raw fish or shellfish unless you are certain it comes from a safe source, and is safe to eat raw!!

Ok, enough of that...lets get on with it.

Variations on ceviche' are vast. I have seen it so many different ways, and like most things that come from a cooks heart or family tradition, they are all fantastic, and I cannot wait to try the next one. Traditional ceviche's were made with whatever fresh ingredients were available at the time. some that I have seen in the Islands used fresh tropical citrus and fruits, others from the Mexico use mostly fresh vegetables. So try using different ingredients as you become a ceviche' connoisseur. The one we are making today is a variation of a shrimp ceviche that I had while vacationing in Mexico.

The freshness of your ingredients in Ceviche' is very important. Make sure you get the freshest seafood and vegetables possible when making this dish. Frozen shrimp is ok, but I prefer fresh. If I am using fish, I NEVER use frozen fish. I am an avid fisherman, so I never make ceviche with fish that I didn't catch myself. If you cannot get out and get your own fish, then make sure you are buying fresh fish from a trusted source.

You will need;

1 lb shrimp
2 medium or 1 large tomato seeded and chopped
1 red onion chopped in small dice
1 jalapeno chopped (optional - remove the seeds if you want a less spicy ceviche)
1/2 green pepper chopped in small dice
1/2 cucmber chopped in small dice
Juice of 2 limes
1 bunch cilantro
1 avocado for garnish
lime wedges for garnish
kosher salt
Optional - pinch of cumin ( I do not do this, but some Mexican Ceviche's call for it)

First cook the shrimp by placing in a 3-5 quart pot of boiling water with seafood seasoning added to taste. I also add a little apple cider vinegar to add flavor and make the shrimp easier to peel. Boil for 2-3 minutes or until the shrimp float. When all the shrimp are floating, remove from water and place in the refrigerator to cool. (The freezer is faster, just don't forget about them) When the shrimp cool, peel the shrimp and chop large shrimp into thirds, or small/medium shrimp in halfs. place in a non-metallic bowl and add lime juice. toss to cover the shrimp and marinate refrigerated for 1 hour.

While the shrimp is marinating, chop all of your vegetables and combine in a large bowl. After 1 hour, add the shrimp and lime juice to your vegetable mixture. Chop fresh cilantro and add to taste to the mix. (I usually use about 1/2 a bunch of cilantro, but certainly add more if you like) Take a pinch or two of kosher salt and sprinkle over ceviche. Toss to mix everything, and place back in the fridge to let the flavors blend for at least an hour.

When serving, I like to break this into smaller serving bowls, garnish with a slice or two of fresh avocado, a wedge of lime, and serve with lime flavored tortilla chips and an ice cold beer!

And that is all there is too it. So, the next time you are invited to a cookout or gathering where you are asked to bring a dish, try bringing this ceviche'. I guarantee you will be the hit of the party!


No comments:

Post a Comment