Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Grilled Softshell Crab with Chili Lime Marinade

 I'm going to go out on a limb here, and ask you to do something very scary. I know, I know...we barely know each other, but if you have a trusting bone in your body, I need you to reach down deep inside and follow along with me on something. It's a request to think outside the box, and I know that can be a scary thing for most people, but if you can trust me, I promise to open your eyes to something very exciting. Here it is...Softshell crabs do not have to be fried to a crispy, tasteless, piece of grease soaked mess on your plate.

I know. Crazy, right?

Now before the droves of old timers come knocking on my door in white crabbing boots, khaki dickies, and  trucker hats to tell me that I don't know my a-- from a hole in the ground about crabs, let me explain..

There is nothing wrong with the traditional method of cooking softshells by dredging them in seasoned flour and frying crisp. I still do it myself every now and then when I feel like thumbing my nose at my family doctors' advice. But, when I learned that softshells could be cooked other ways, I couldn't wait to experiment. And boy am I ever glad I did! So this isn't about ignoring tradition. It's about trying new things.

Now, I realize grilling softshells is nothing new, it just hasn't really caught on here in Chesapeake country. Trendy chefs across the globe have been doing it for a few years now, but here in the land of the beautiful swimmers, tradition still reigns supreme. So, most restaurant menu's that feature softshell crabs around these parts, will present them battered and fried. If you are like me and enjoy a little variation in your life, well I suggest you go to your local crab market and grab a few fresh softshells (or better yet, go for a little stroll through the shallows during the next warm full moon..you might just live a little and catch your own)...but be forewarned...after you try this recipe, you may never give them a hot oil bath again.

2 softshell crabs
3 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 clove garlic chopped
1/2 fresh lime, juiced
pinch or two of dried cilantro

Combine all ingredients except crabs. Stir to mix well, and brush marinade on both sides of crabs. Allow to sit  for about 15 minutes while you pre-heat your grill.



Place crabs on grill (directly or in a fish basket) and baste with marinade while grilling over low heat. Reduce flare ups by closing the lid on the grill. As the butter in the marinade melts and falls down on the flame or coals, this will cause flare up and smoke. Keep crabs away from direct flame, but encourage the smoke by closing the lid. The smoke will add a nice flavor to the crabs. Continue to baste 2-3 more times until crabs are cooked through. (about 15-20 minutes over low heat)



Serve as a main course with a spinach salad and corn on the cob, or as a sandwich with lettuce, tomato, and a nice garlic aioli spread. (recipe below)

Leave a comment and let me know what you think..Enjoy!

Basic Garlic Aioli;

3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt

Combine the garlic and salt, and mash into a garlic paste using the flat side of a knife or a mortar and pestle. Add the garlic to a bowl and mix or whisk together with the rest of the ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to let the flavors blend well.

This is a basic aioli. Have fun with this base recipe by adding any fresh herbs and seasonings to suit your taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment