Monday, July 15, 2013

Ratatouille

If you're like me, when you plant your summer garden, you plant way too much. For some strange reason I thought that planting 4 zucchini and 4 yellow squash plants was a good idea...now they have just about over taken my garden, and my counter is covered with green and yellow vegetables to the point that my wife is considering re-decorating in those colors.

We put lots of frozen squash, zucchini pickles, and zucchini relish away every summer. But, fresh veggies are still my favorite and when I have an abundance of multiple vegetables from my garden, I like to make a nice Ratatouille. For this dish we'll use Tomatoes, Zucchini, Yellow Squash, fresh oregano, and fresh basil, all from my own garden. Throw in some mushrooms and garlic and a couple other things from the store, and you have a nice side dish that gives you yet another option when those summer vegetables from your garden start to over take your counter space. Don't have a garden?  No problem...roadside stands sell most of these ingredients pretty cheap during the summer...after all, the farmers wife is tired of re-decorating her kitchen too..

1 clove Garlic chopped
1 medium onion diced
2 medium Zucchini chopped or sliced in rounds (or a little of both)
2 medium yellow squash chopped or sliced in rounds (or a little of both)
1 bell pepper chopped
3 medium tomatoes seeded and chopped
handful of fresh mushrooms, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped

In a dutch oven or saucepan, cook onion and garlic in a little olive oil for about 2 minutes or until they become aromatic. Add green pepper, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, and cook until tender. Add tomatoes, spices to taste, and fresh herbs. cover and cook for 15 minutes over medium heat. Serve as a side dish or over rice as a main course.



No comments:

Post a Comment