Monday, September 16, 2013

Crispy Pig Ears - No, Really..You Have to Try Them!




I have developed a love affair with foods that go against the mainstream grain. I spent a lifetime cooking things like meatloaf, baked chicken, various burger recipes, etc....What I realized is that I was getting very bored with this style of cooking. While it's very much "down home", it is also very vanilla. So I started seeking out the foods and techniques that go outside the box. I fell in love with some different shows on TV that take you to the heart of culture and the foods that define people. I began experimenting with these foods, and this is one that has as much shock value as it has big flavor. 

Crispy pig ears are nothing new in certain cultures. But for a majority of my targeted reader base, I would bet that I can count on one hand the number of people that have ever tried them. I myself had only seen them on TV up until yesterday. I saw the pig ears at the butcher shop, bought them, and started seeking out recipes. After choosing a couple that looked good, I put my own adaptation to them, and this is the result. 

Think "bar food". Think "finger food". This should be right up there with chicken wings and potato chips as a staple for every coffee table during a football game on Sunday. Your favorite dipping sauce should accompany the plate. For this recipe I chose a Sweet Thai Chili Sauce....Buffalo wing sauce, or a spicy mustard sauce would have been just as good...This is a crunchy, meaty snack, that won't disappoint. 

pre-boiling is crucial to tenderize the ears. I put carrots, celery, onions, and pig ears in a pot and covered with water. Add salt and Chinese five spice powder. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 3-4 hours. Remove ears and allow to dry out for an hour or so. 

When ready to fry, slice ears in long strips, dredge in seasoned flour (recipe below) and deep fry until crisp. be careful when frying, as leftover moisture in the ear will causing popping in the hot oil or fat. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce. 

I have also seen these used as the main ingredients in tacos. I enjoyed these so much all on their own, that I cannot wait to try them in a soft tortilla with some fresh pico!

Seasoned Flour:

2 cups flour
1 1/2  tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon celery salt
1 tablespoon pepper
2 tablespoons dry mustard
4 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon sweet basil
1/2 teaspoon oregano


Store leftover mix in a seal-able bag or jar. 




No comments:

Post a Comment